T.D. Merrill and his 12 year old brother R.D, arrived first in 1880 in a three-masted schooner to paddle canoes up the river to survey the forest and land for its potential investment opportunities.
In November of 1886, T.D. Merrill and Clark Ring purchased Thomas Merrill, Sr.’s logging and milling operations to create Merrill & Ring. The purchase included forest land, sawmills and logging operations in Michigan, Minnesota, Washington and Canada.